Posts for tag: heel cracks
Many patients deal with extremely dry skin. When the skin on your feet becomes very dry, cracks known as heel fissures can occur. Heel cracks are more than just embarrassing and unsightly. A tiny crack can cause a great deal of localized pain.
Numerous factors can lead cracked heels, including:
- Low humidity: Skin is typically dryer in the winter, when humidity goes down.
- Frequent and extended period of time standing, especially on hard wooden or tiled floors. People in professions such as teaching and pharmacy often experience heel cracks.
- Circulation issues, including diabetes and Peripheral Arterial Disease.
- Malnutrition or vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
- Hormonal imbalances.
- Poor hygiene.
- Going barefoot or in open shoes often while indoors.
- Obesity or excess weight, which can cause the heel to expand and the skin to split.
Preventing heel cracks is often easier than healing them. Be sure to drink plenty of water; it’s essential to keep yourself well hydrated inside and out. Eat a balanced, healthy diet rich in essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 acids. To keep feet soft and reduce your risk of fissures, Jeffrey Kahn, DPM suggests that you moisturize your heels twice daily and use an exfoliating lotion weekly. Try a pumice stone to reduce and remove calluses. Some people prefer to use a pumice stone on wet feet; others prefer to use it when their feet are dry.
If a small crack develops in the dry skin on your heel, try this at-home solution for a couple of days:
- Take a bath or shower, or soak your feet in a tub of warm water.
- Dry your feet well. Apply a thin layer of heavy cream or petroleum jelly.
- Wear a pair of cotton socks to bed.
Are you worried about heel cracks or anything else about your foot health? Dr. Jeffrey Kahn and the staff at Connecticut Foot Care Centers, LLC are here to help! Click here or give us a call to make a convenient appointment today. Our offices in Rocky Hill, Bristol, Middletown, Glastonbury, Newington, and Kensington are equipped with state of the art equipment Dr. Kahn has years of training and experience. He can remove calluses, heal those cracks, and get your feet feeling better right away.