Posts for tag: clean feet
At Connecticut Foot Care Centers, one of our goals is educating our Hartford and Middlesex county patients on how to be proactive in the care of their feet. The risk for developing many common foot problems, including athlete’s foot, ingrown toenails, Achilles tendonitis, heel pain, and more, can be significantly reduced by taking good care of your feet. Observe the simple tips below, and your feet will thank you with many years of active life.
- Keep it clean-just washing your feet every day with soap and water will go a long way to helping you avoid infections. Always dry feet completely, especially between the toes. Wear clean socks every day and change them as soon as you notice they feel damp. It will help prevent athlete’s foot.
- Show good shoe sense-improper footwear is one of the single most significant causes of foot pain. Make sure you are wearing the right size shoe—if you’re unsure, have your feet professionally measured. Many patients have one foot that is larger than the other is. Always buy shoes to accommodate the bigger foot. Replace worn-out shoes to prevent falls and ankle sprains. It’s also a good idea to alternate your shoes and not wear the same pair every day.
- Take care of toenails-cut your toenails straight across but not too short. You don’t want the skin at the sides of the nail to be able to cover the nail edge. It can lead to an ingrown toenail. Ditto for if you round the edges of the nails.
- Don’t go barefoot- Keeping your feet covered will reduce the risk of cuts, puncture wounds, and fungal infections.
- Get foot pain evaluated promptly- It’s not normal. Ignoring foot pain can result in a condition that would have been easily corrected, turning into a major problem. If you are experiencing any foot or ankle discomfort, contact one of our six Hartford and Middlesex County offices for an appointment. (We offer late and early appointments to accommodate all schedules.) Our podiatrists, Jeffrey S. Kahn, D.P.M., Craig M. Kaufman, D.P.M., Ayman M. Latif, D.P.M. and Raffaella R. Pascarella, D.P.M. will perform a complete examination of your feet and provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment for your foot pain.