Posts for tag: circulation
Many people live with extremely dry skin. Dry skin on the feet can lead to with cracked heels, also known as heel fissures. Heel cracks can be unsightly and embarrassing especially if you want to wear sandals or other shoes that expose your feet. Even worse, a tiny crack can cause a great deal of pain.
Circulation issues, including Raynaud’s Disease and problems caused by diabetes are the most common cause of heel cracks. Other factors include:
- Weather: as humidity goes down, heel cracks go up. This is why you’re more likely to get them in the winter than in the summer.
- Long hours standing at work or at home, especially on hard wooden or tiled floors.
- Obesity: the heel expands to support increased weight and this can cause the skin to split.
- Spending excessive amounts of time barefoot or in open shoes while indoors.
- Badly fitted shoes that don’t offer good support to the heel.
- Poor hygiene.
- Deficiency of vitamins and minerals.
- Hormonal imbalances.
Jeffrey Kahn, DPM offers the following tips to prevent heel cracks:
- Use a pumice stone to reduce and remove the buildup of calluses.
- Moisturize your heels twice daily.
- Use an exfoliating lotion weekly.
- Keep feet covered with socks and shoes.
- Keep yourself well hydrated inside and out. Drink plenty of water.
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet rich in essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 acids.
If the skin on your feet gets very dry and a small crack develops, help it heal with this simple, 4-step bedtime solution:
- Take a bath or shower, or soak your feet in a tub of warm water.
- Dry your feet well.
- Apply a thin layer of heavy cream or petroleum jelly.
- Put on a pair of cotton socks overnight.
Are you concerned about heel cracks or anything else about your foot health? Dr. Jeffrey Kahn and the staff at Connecticut Foot Care Centers, LLC are here to help. Click here to make a convenient appointment in our Rocky Hill, Bristol, Middletown, Glastonbury, Newington, or Kensington offices today. Our offices are equipped with state of the art equipment and our doctors have years of training and experience. They can remove calluses, heal those cracks, and get your feet feeling better right away.