Posts for tag: Obesity and Feet
Danish researchers held a study that found overweight children are more susceptible in suffering an injury to the foot, ankle, or leg during physical activity. The researchers learned this by studying 632 overweight children who attended physical education classes for an hour and a half each week for two and a half years.
The entire group of children experienced a total 673 lower-limb injuries during this time. The children who were heavier had an average of 5.3 injuries for every 1000 “athletic exposures,” while that rate was only 4.4 per 1000 for children at healthier weights. "In the bigger picture the need to get all kids more active, and particularly overweight children, is imperative," sports medicine researcher Malachy McHugh said. McHugh was not involved in the study.
As an epidemic, obesity negatively affects all life stages. Seek the help of one of our podiatrists at Connecticut Foot Care Centers. can examine your child’s feet and provide the right care and treatment for them.
How Obesity Affects Your Feet
Extra weight can sneak up on anyone unprepared. It’s not until your feet begin to hurt at the end of the day when you realize they have been carrying your entire body weight. There are many side effects that occur in the feet as a result of having a few extra pounds.
- Leaning forward (uneven posture)
- Extra weight placed in the wrong parts of your feet
- Development of Type-2 diabetes
- Loss of sensation in the legs and feet
- Small sores
- Plantar Fasciitis
Treating your feet can be helped by paying special attention to your footwear and your own body. Investing in yourself can help to lead you on a better road to health as well as serve to relieve some of the issues related to your feet.
- Invest in shoes that allow for good circulation and support
- Losing weight can help prevent and treat diabetes in addition to other diseases
- Activities such as yoga and water aerobics can help keep you active and mobile without placing stress on your feet
- Foot stretches can help alleviate some pain associated with foot conditions.
If you have any questions, please contact one of our offices in Connecticut. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.
Read more on Obesity and Feet