A day at the spa, complete with a salon pedicure, is the height of relaxation. Before all the pampering though, it’s important to evaluate the risks that could come with a salon pedicure. Even the most beautiful, top-notch salons can carry bacteria and fungus if they don’t practice salon hygiene. You could easily roll out of there with toenail fungus or plantar warts if you’re not careful!
We here at Connecticut Foot Care Centers have put together recommendations to reduce your risk:
- Utilize your friend network – ask for recommendations rather than choosing based on price or location. Check online reviews as well.
- Check the place out – are they properly licensed and up to date? Do they keep it clean and tidy? Do you see people sweeping and cleaning when they don’t have a customer?
- Watch how they work – do they utilize disposable hygiene items like surgical gloves or footbath liners? These items will keep customers safe.
- Skip the shave – shaving your legs can leave you open to germs which can enter through tiny nicks. The nail tech won’t be offended by a little leg stubble.
- Bring your own – if you have your own set of mani/pedi tools, it’s perfectly fine to bring those with you. That way, you’ll ensure your feet won’t be touched by things that have touched other feet.
- Check for sterilization – if you don’t have your own tools, make sure the salon is properly sterilizing their tools. There should be a glass jar filled with a light blue liquid (a mixture of water and tuberculoidal disinfectant) at every station. This is much more effective than UV sterilizers.
- No sharp blades – don’t let the technician use sharp edges like cuticle nippers or callus removing razors or graters. Small cuts caused by these instruments can allow infections to more easily enter your body.
- Give it time – your nails should be allowed time to dry naturally. UV light can save time, but it can also be dangerous for your skin!
If you’re suffering from an infection from an unsafe nail salon, we’re here for you. Our team of foot doctors here at Connecticut Foot Care Centers provide the best in foot care and utilize the newest diagnostic and treatment techniques and technologies! Our friendly and knowledgeable staff has unparalleled experience and can help you at any of our six conveniently located Connecticut offices. Request an appointment today!