Do you wince at the first steps out of bed every morning from excruciating heel pain? You’re likely living with a very common condition called plantar fasciitis. There is a ligament in your foot, the plantar fascia, which connects your heel to your toes and supports your foot’s arch. When the plantar fascia ligament becomes inflamed or suffers small tears, it can cause great pain in your heel – especially first thing in the morning.
Can I minimize the pain of plantar fasciitis?
Luckily, plantar fasciitis pain can be managed and minimized with some simple stretches that you can do even before you get out of bed. This is a great way to start your day! Try these stretches to ease the pain and start the day right:
- First things first, it’s always important to warm up before any exercise – even stretching. Wake your feet up by tracing the alphabet in the air with your toes.
- Next, try to point your toes and flex each of your ankles 10 times.
- Roll both ankles simultaneously in one direction, then the other. Repeat 10 times.
- Pretend that you’re trying to pick up a pen or small object with your foot by crunching your toes towards your sole. Hold for up to 15 seconds and release. Repeat 10 times with each foot.
- Finally, sit on the edge of your bed and place your heel on the floor. Use your hand to pull your big toe towards you. Hold that for 15 to 30 seconds, then release. Repeat this four times on each leg.
Having a nice cushy pair of slippers waiting for you when you first step out of bed can also be a huge help for comfort, as can wearing supportive footwear the rest of the day. If your plantar fasciitis continues to flare up, and ice, rest, and over the counter anti-inflammatory medication are not helping, it’s time to check in with a podiatrist.
If you are dealing with painful heels, it’s time to call us. Our team of foot doctors here at Connecticut Foot Care Centers is equipped with a wealth of knowledge and resources in caring for your heels or any foot or ankle issue. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff has unparalleled experience and can help you at any of our six conveniently located Connecticut offices. Request an appointment today!