Have you been having irritation or friction from your shoes you didn't experience before? Do you feel a pulling or pinching on a ligament in your foot? Bone spurs are often a common cause of foot pain, heel pain, and other foot and ankle related conditions. Bone spurs are a common ailment we treat in all our six offices: Rocky Hill CT, Bristol CT, Newington CT, Glastonbury CT, Middletown CT, and Kensington CT. Our four podiatrists, Dr. Jeffrey S. Kahn, Dr. Richard E. Ehle, Dr. Craig M. Kaufman, and Dr. Ayman M. Latif are highly trained in treating bone spurs in the foot, ankle, and toe.
Bone spurs are a very common foot problem. In the feet, they develop most frequently in the heel, near the toes, and on top of the big toe joint. The spurs are small outgrowths of bone. In and of themselves, they are generally harmless. However, their location may cause friction or irritation from shoes or other foot structures, which can lead to other foot problems.
Heel spurs refer specifically to bone spurs in the heel. Heel spurs are growths of bone on the underside, forepart of the heel bone and occur when the plantar fibrous band pulls at its attachment to the heel bone. This area of the heel later calcifies to form a spur. With proper warm-up and the use of appropriate athletic shoes, strain to the ligament can be reduced.
Anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections, corrective shoes, and/or orthotics (special shoe inserts) are some of the common treatments for spurs. Note: Please consult your physician before taking any medication. Surgery may be prescribed if spurring around the joint becomes severe or leads to recurrent pain from persistent corns.
Check out our blog posts for further reading on bone spurs:
- "Dodgers Kemp Has Foot Surgery" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2013/10/dodgers-kemp-has-foot-surgery.html
- "Giants Outfielder Torres On DL" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2013/08/giants-outfielder-torres-on-dl.html
- "Celtics' Kevin Garnett To Avoid Foot Surgery" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2013/05/celtics-kevin-garnett-to-avoid-foot.html
- "NBA's Oldest Player Has Broken Foot" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2013/03/nbas-oldest-player-has-broken-foot.html
- "Nets' Williams Has Bone Spurs" http://ctfootcare.blogspot.com/2012/11/nets-williams-has-bone-spurs.html
- "In-Forms' Starc To Delay Foot Surgery" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2013/02/in-forms-starc-to-delay-foot-surgery.html
- "Australia's Stosur Had Ankle Surgery" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2013/01/australias-stosur-had-ankle-surgery.html
- "Tennis' Elena Baltacha Foot Surgery" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2012/11/tenniss-elena-baltacha-foot-surgery.html
- "Lleyton Hewitt Has Toe Surgery" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2012/06/lleyton-hewitt-has-toe-surgery.html
- "Ray Allen Kept Out of Game By Bone Spurs" http://sportsandyourfeetct.blogspot.com/2012/05/ray-allen-kept-out-of-game-by-bone.html