Posts for tag: Healthy food choices
At Connecticut Foot Care Centers, we know there’s a direct correlation between being overweight and foot pain. For every pound you gain, you increase the pressure on your knees and feet by three to five pounds. March is National Nutrition Month and a good opportunity to focus on healthy ways to achieve an appropriate weight. Of course, if you are experiencing any lower extremity discomfort, your first step should be to get your feet evaluated by our podiatrists, Jeffrey S. Kahn, D.P.M., Craig M. Kaufman, D.P.M., Ayman M. Latif, D.P.M. and Raffaella R. Pascarella, D.P.M. You can make an appointment at any of our six Hartford and Middlesex County offices.
A Food Plan that Will Work for You
Studies show that quick weight loss plans and fad diets often do not result in keeping off the weight you lose. A sound weight management program should incorporate as many of the following factors as possible:
- Be well-balanced and contain appropriate amounts of foods from all five food groups. (Uncertain what those are? Go to www.ChooseMyPlate.gov for guidelines)
- Involves changes to the way you eat and the types of food you consume most often that you can live with and enjoy for the rest of your life—not just until you lose the weight
- It has some of your favorite foods
- Consists of food that is easily available at your supermarket and fits your budget and your lifestyle
- Includes regular exercise and physical activity.
Don’t try to change everything at once. Make small changes and master them before moving on. Set attainable goals—say the first 5 pounds. Breaking a larger goal into more manageable pieces will allow you to experience success and keep you motivated.
Managing your weight is just one lifestyle choice that can positively impact your feet. To learn more ways to be proactive about your podiatric health, contact us today.