Posts for tag: Family Health
At Connecticut Foot Care Centers, we hope that all of our Middlesex and Hartford County patients are staying healthy during this uncertain time of the Coronavirus. We are hearing that many families are getting a little stir crazy. We’d like to suggest a way to help the health of your feet (and the rest of your body) and restore some family sanity: exercise.
Being Active Has Multiple Benefits
Chances are your children are less active with the cancellation of school and the spring sports season. With limited places open and many adults unable to go into their offices, everyone is definitely low on steps and physical movement.
Exercise can be helpful in many ways:
- Helps maintain a healthy weight (or aids in a weight loss program)
- Improves circulation
- Keep legs, ankles and feet flexible
- Decreases stress
- Reduces blood sugar
- Lowers the risk of high blood pressure and heart disease
Although social distancing is the rule of the day, there are several ways you and your family can still be active and reap the benefits of exercise.
- Get the yard in shape. Its spring clean-up time. Rake leaves, pick up sticks, turn over gardens and trim bushes and shrubs.
- Set up the backyard Olympics. Create stations such as high jump, 50-foot dash, push-ups, pull-ups on the swing set, etc. and have each family member complete the circuit. Keep score and award prizes for best in individual categories and overall.
- Dance it out. Remember those old dance video games? Get them out! Or just turn on a good rock station and have your own dance party.
- Create an obstacle course. Find cones, bikes, and other objects in the garage and make your own obstacle course. Go thru by two’s or time one another to see who can get through the fastest.
Of course, even with seemingly unstructured physical fun, it’s important to wear the appropriate athletic shoes to keep feet safe. If you or a family member experiences heel pain or other podiatric discomforts while participating in fitness activities, be sure to contact one of our six Hartford and Middlesex County offices and get your feet evaluated by our podiatrists, Jeffrey S. Kahn, D.P.M., Craig M. Kaufman, D.P.M., Ayman M. Latif, D.P.M. and Raffaella R. Pascarella, D.P.M.